50g chopped garlic
400g chopped onions
300g sweet potato
1kg beetroot diced
500g green cabbage (kale, savoy, spring cabbage)
2L chicken stock
juice of 2 lemons
6 bay leaves
1 spring thyme
8 juniper berries
10 black peppercorns
- Sweat down onion and garlic.
- Add celery and carrots and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beetroot, sweet potato, thyme, pepper, juniper berries, bay leaves and sea salt.
- Now add the chicken stock (or vegetable if you would like to keep the soup vegetarian) and bring to boil.
- Keep simmering until the beetroot is just cooked and then add the cabbage and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- Serve the borscht with sour cream and a slice of toasted sourdough bread.